The Computing and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) department offers a stimulating and dynamic learning environment using the most up to date software and creative technologies available. High-tech classrooms, with interactive whiteboards and high spec peripherals enable students to excel in a multimedia rich society.
The Computing and ICT curriculum offered at Fortismere is designed to give an in-depth knowledge and a wide range of Computing and ICT skills. Excellent results and high expectations of success reflect the increased popularity of Computing and ICT, with many students now going on to read Computer Science and ICT related courses at universities, including Russell Group universities.
The accolade of Specialist Status as a Computing College confirms the transformational change ICT has undergone in recent years at Fortismere, as well as enabling a community programme of classes and seminars for primary feeder schools and for the wider community keen to develop their skills in areas such as web design or video editing. In addition, the ICT department make extensive use of the school's online Learning Platform (Google Classrooms). The Learning Platform is an integral component to all Computing and ICT teaching and learning, the students' experience of Computing and ICT as a result is significantly enhanced with modern day 21st century resources and activities.
The KS3 curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- can understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms and data representation
- can analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated practical experience of writing computer programs in order to solve such problems
- can evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies, analytically to solve problems
- are responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology
ICT and Computing is an option subject where students can opt to take GCSE ICT or GCSE Computing.
- GCSE Computing (OCR)
- Cambridge Nationals in ICT (OCR)
- European Computing Driving License (BCS)
The ICT and Computing department offer the following courses:
- A level Computing (AQA)
- Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate in IT (OCR)
- BTEC Creative Digital Media Production (Pearson)
The Computing and ICT department run regular lunchtime clubs and after school revision sessions. The department is also involved in arranging guest speakers from industry and universities, as well as trips to conferences. The department also hold annual competitions, such as designing posters and animations for school drama productions and a number of entries are entered for the annual 'Doodle for Google' competition. The department is also heavily involved in the VEX Robotics yearly competition where the World finals are held in the USA.
Contact the ICT Department:
|Yakup, Mr M||Head of ICT|
Alam, Mr S
|Ovayolu, Mr B||ICT Teacher|